The Sony Open is underway, and DFS darling Russell Henley holds a commanding lead heading into the weekend. The nearest competitor Hao Tong Li was a feature of this article yesterday and has a chance to change his career around with a big weekend this weekend. Let’s go over a couple of stats, info and some picks for the PGA DFS round three slate of the Sony Open.
PGA DFS Golf Picks: Round 3 Sony Open
Sony Open Round 2 Recap
Kevin Na would be in focus in the morning wave but just never got it going on the day, failing to break par here for the first time in quite a while. Matt Kuchar would join Li and Henley with back-to-back good rounds, 64 to open-backed up with a 65 on Friday. Chris Kirk is in a similar position with rounds of 66 and 65, while Seamus Power continues good form and also got to nine under thru two rounds. On Friday morning, Stweart Cink, Ryan Armour, and Charles Howell III would all match Henley with a seven-under 63.
With the course getting firmer throughout the day, scoring averages would tick down a little, but those ending par 5s would still push the cut all the way to -5. It would be a long sweat, however, coming down to the final few guys to push it to that number, with Webb Simpson knocking in the final putt. Now the top 5 in the event and the cutline are only separated by four shots.
Sony Open Round 1 Stat Recap
Strokes Gained Off the Tee
- Callum Tarren
- Cameron Davis
- Rory Sabbatini
- Erik Van Rooyen
- Kyle Stanley
Strokes Gained Approach
- Justin Lower
- Kevin Na
- Lucas Glover
- Corey Conners
- Ryan Armour
Strokes Gained Around the Green.
- Keegan Bradley
- Bo Van Pelt
- Scott Gutcschewski
- Webb Simpson
- Andrew Novak
Strokes Gained Putting
- Jim Furyk
- Andy Ogletree
- Harry Higgs
- Brian Harman
- Sahith Theegala
DraftKings Fantasy Golf Preview: Round 3 Sony Open
- Lock Time: 12:10
- Grand Prize: DraftKings offers $25,000 to first place and $100,000 guaranteed for the second-round slate.
Best PGA DFS Golf Picks Today for DraftKings Showdown
With combined ownership of less than 5% for Haotong Li and Keita Nakajima, finding a stack that low owned that performs as well will be a tall task.
- Kevin Kisner ($8,500): A quality start to the season for Kisner, who is working off a top 10 out at Kapalua and looks good again thru two rounds here in Honolulu. He’s gained strokes in all facets of his game while excelling with his putter, something he does better than most when he gets it rolling. Solid price and solid form make him a safer play in tomorrow’s slate.
- Jason Kokrak ($8,300): Speaking of a hot putting, that’s exactly what Kokrak is doing thru three rounds, gaining over three strokes with the putter and adding another 1.1 with his ball-striking.
- Cameron Davis ($8,000): The third of our participants from last week to find the weekend here, and playing well. Davis, like Kisner, continues the form from last week and sits just one shot out of the top 5 heading into the weekend. He’ll need the putter to wake up if he wants to win the event or catch Henely, but his ball-striking looks very good, gaining over two strokes in the first couple of rounds.
- Kevin Tway ($6,400): The sleeper pick of the day is going to go to Tway. Already showing us top 5 upside this fall, Tway either makes a big move on the weekend or settles into the back end of the field. He’s put well and played solidly both around the green and on his approaches and will need his driver game to start shaping up, something he certainly has the ability to do.
Thanks for reading to the end of this article! If you appreciate this free content and want to see more of it every day, you can help us out by sharing this article on social media!
FantasyDraft PGA DFS rankings will be posted at least a day in advance of any tournament. The DraftKings DFS PGA projections for this week, the FanDuel PGA DFS showdown projections for today and the DFS PGA ownership projections are made and used by Alex Baker, the No. 1 DFS player in the world. Looking for more PGA DFS picks for Yahoo! and DFS PGA DraftKings picks?